[consulting] preview of a home page

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Fri Jan 5 17:10:17 UTC 2007

Mariano Barcia wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Isn´t there a way in Drupal to preview the home page, without actually
> publishing the nodes in the home page?
>
> I have been googling for this possibility, and also searching within
> drupal.org, but no luck yet. In large sites with many editors, there must be
> a way to preview how the home page will look like and I can't find a single
> mention to this issue. Other CMSs like OpenCMS have the concept of
> Online/Offline environments, or "sandbox" but that´s more developers
> terminology I guess.
>
> Or does the site admin actually preview the home page (sees the unpublished
> nodes)?

I believe you could accomplish this kind of thing (based on some other
discussion) by using the basic workflow idea for article publishing, but add an
addition workflow state, perhaps 'pre-publishing', and a set of Views that only
editors can see that would show you both published and pre-published articles
simultaneously.

See the publishing module http://drupal.org/project/publishing which leads to
an article that talks about this.