[consulting] preview of a home page

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Sat Jan 6 23:16:10 UTC 2007

Bèr Kessels wrote:
> Op zaterdag 6 januari 2007 19:23, schreef Earl Miles:
>
>> Yea, you're right, Ber. The time I've spent writing tools to help make
>> Drupal into a publishing platform has been a TOTAL waste of time.
>>
>> Seriously, I should just turn my work toward Joomla! instead and quit
>> wasting your time too.
>>
> So don't get snappy on me for telling people there are alternatves to Drupal.
> There are. Wordpress IS a better blogging tool for Bob Blogger, if you can't
> live with that fact, ask Gerhard, if then you are still not convinced then
> look at the figures.

Earl,

I love your work and I think it's very important to the community,
however, I do think that Ber has a point and that's what the earlier
conversation with Kaliya was about. I personally use Joomla at times,
and at times I have found very good reasons for using it such as a great
number of pre-made templates that I can quickly modify and deploy, and a
workflow that works for certain types of brochure sites. I have also
found very good reasons for using Wordpress at times, again pre-made
templates comes to mind. So I do think the Open Source space we do need
to find the right tool for the job that will consume the least amount of
effort and therefore money to build whatever we're looking to build. For
the project we were discussing I think Drupal might be a good fit, but
then again perhaps not. In terms of your work with Drupal in publishing,
I think that for a simple defined workflow as the workflow that Joomla
has hard coded, it's a good waste of time to try to duplicate in Drupal
if you don't need anything much more spectacular than that simple work
flow... Joomla's templates and menus are similarly hard coded and
limiting, but often that's all you need -- for one project the menus
consumed something like 2 days to learn to do what I wanted them to do.
Anyhow, I think it's the hammer and nail problem, and we need keep all
the Open Source tools on our belts (and non Open-source too).

Regards,
Sami