[consulting] Dedicated/Colocated Servers?

Colan Schwartz colan at openject.com
Wed Jan 10 18:25:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 07:05:13AM -0500, Morbus Iff wrote:
> What are people using nowadays for dedicated or colocated servers? My
> current host is taking 11+ days to do a simple "wipe/reinstall" on one
> of my (unused) servers, and I fear the response time should there
> actually be an emergency with real clients.

I'm currently using http://prioritycolo.com/ for dedicated hosting.  I
haven't had an emergency yet so I'm not sure what their response time
is, but everything they've ever done for me was well under 11 days.
(I actually just switched from using my own box to one of theirs.)

They've been really helpful, and the pricing is great.  They even put
Ubuntu on for me; it's not one of their standard OSes.

I think paying for backups is generally a waste of money, unless there
isn't another box around to rsync with.  I run rsnapshot
(http://www.rsnapshot.org/) on my box at home for backups.  If you've
got two servers, they can run it on each other.

I'm also looking at something like http://virtualprivateservers.ca/ for
their Xen/Ubuntu package.  It starts at $20, which sounds great, but I'm
not sure what else is out there.  It would add to what I've already got;
I'm used to having a whole box to myself. ;)
-c.
--
Colan Schwartz
Internet Consultant  |  Openject Consulting  |  http://www.openject.com/