[consulting] Dedicated/Colocated Servers?

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Thu Jan 11 05:11:00 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Ryan Grace <ryan at realenergy.net> wrote:
> I now reside on a dedicated host from www.hostgator.com
> It looks cheesy but man, the support is top-notch.  They are a child company
> of www.theplanet.com ... cheaper prices.. same service.
> You won't find any negative reports anywhere on the net.

Heh: http://www.google.com/search?q=hostgator%20sucks

I think it was like 5 months ago that theplanet lost their DNS servers
for a day.  Talk about a bunch of sad customers...That said, they seem
pretty decent to me overall.

> My personal experience has been ridiculously good for 2 years now. I turn
> everyone on to them.
> If you do signup, please use my link here... http://thefractal.org/hosting
> I don't know how they can afford it but you get 50 bucks for every person
> you sign up.

Right now I use two hosting companies:Dreamhost and RackSpace.

Dreamhost gives me everything I want for basically no money and the
support is somewhere between reasonable and horrible. The reliability
is about what you should expect for less than $10/month.

RackSpace costs a lot and provides service worth a lot more.  If you
want and know how to use root then RackSpace is probably not worth it.
 If "root" is something that shows when your dye job is 4 weeks old
then RackSpace is perfect for you.

Greg