[consulting] Is this list dead?

Sam Tresler sam at treslervania.com
Tue Mar 20 16:14:43 UTC 2007

Victor Kane wrote:
> No!
> What we want in the Drupal CVS is modules that have made people
> financially successful! Not a dustbin for failures.
>
> I do understand that there is no negative correlation whatsoever between
> business failure and quality of code. But there certainly is a positive
> correlation going in the other direction.
>
> That is why the model needs to be discussed.
>
> My two cents worth, anyway,
>
> Victor Kane
> http://awebfactory.com.ar
>
> On 3/20/07, *Morbus Iff* <morbus at disobey.com
> <mailto:morbus at disobey.com>> wrote:
>
>      > I've never understood why these things are always discussed as one or
>      > the other.  I personally like the clause in a business plan "We
>     will be
>      > releasing an open-source version after x # of new users joins"  or
>      > "after x number of $"  Obviously, abide by the law if you plan on
>     doing
>      > that, whatever applies in your case.
>
>     /me nods. I've already decided that should It Fail or be Financially
>     Unsustainable, then the code would be dropped into the Drupal CVS.

A few things:

	The Cathedral and the Bazaar is not a Bible.  Its a useful text.  The
same as The Tipping Point, The Long Tail and half a hundred other good
and useful texts.  Sure, it makes some good points, but it is not the
end of all thought on the subject.

	As long as no one is violating the license on the code, _they can do
whatever the want with it_.  Free as in Freedom.  Trying to tell other
people what they _should_ do with their code is nothing more than
personal preference. I like to print mine out on napkins to serve at
cocktail parties - they sell for a good price, and the backs are great
for writing down phone numbers.

"I do understand that there is no negative correlation whatsoever between
  business failure and quality of code. But there certainly is a positive
  correlation going in the other direction."

	No - there isn't.  Theres is No Correlation between code and CVS and
Financial anything.  Thats the point, neh?