[consulting] GPL v3, contributions and effect on community

Greg Holsclaw Greg.Holsclaw at trouvemedia.com
Tue Mar 20 21:44:59 UTC 2007

But really no one can grab your GPL v3 code and place it behind a
firewall as you say (not legally). The component of the GPL that covers
such an exmaple is the 'all derivatives of this work must be distributed
according to GPL v3...' (I don't have the text exactly in front of me
right now) prevents them for rebranding/distributing for profit your
work as proprietary.

But if I labor in a closet making a new functionality for Drupal and I
incorporate it into an innovative website (or even partner with others)
that makes lots of money, I should not be required to reveal my code
solely because Drupal is open source, GPL. As long as I don't distribute
the code/nor try to sell my 'custom' Drupal creation (though I could see
the entire site) I am not affected by GPL.

Really, the time that you make is difficult or impossible for
creative/entrepreneurial folks to profit from their creative ideas, they
will move to an arena where they can.

-G