[consulting] GPL v3, contributions and effect on community

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Wed Mar 21 01:13:34 UTC 2007

> But really no one can grab your GPL v3 code and place it behind a
> firewall as you say (not legally). The component of the GPL that covers
> such an exmaple is the 'all derivatives of this work must be distributed
> according to GPL v3...' (I don't have the text exactly in front of me
> right now) prevents them for rebranding/distributing for profit your
> work as proprietary.

err....  not sure we're talking about the same thing.  The GPL v3 allows
for the "additional requirements" that would close the "web services
loophole" - if you use GPL code on a network you must make the source
available under the gpl.
> But if I labor in a closet making a new functionality for Drupal and I
> incorporate it into an innovative website (or even partner with others)
> that makes lots of money, I should not be required to reveal my code
> solely because Drupal is open source, GPL. As long as I don't distribute
> the code/nor try to sell my 'custom' Drupal creation (though I could see
> the entire site) I am not affected by GPL.

you may be under GPL v3.
> Really, the time that you make is difficult or impossible for
> creative/entrepreneurial folks to profit from their creative ideas, they
> will move to an arena where they can.

actually that's the argument I've acknowledged, and pointed out that
people would argue that under the current GPL it is already "impossible
... to profit from their creative ideas..." In other words why does this
logic magically stop at the dividing line between "distribute" or not?
Why isn't using the code on a website not "distribution".

I wonder how many professional people using Drupal are dependent on
keeping source closed for their business success.