[consulting] being a listed consultant

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Mar 30 04:06:03 UTC 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 10:21 pm, Rob Barreca wrote:
> Good stuff Simon,
>
> > Often the presumption is that work
> > can be paid for after completion by PayPal and this does not sit well
> > with me *at all*.
> >
> > What do others think about this type enquiry?
>
> I usually do 50% upfront and 50% on completion. Depending on the
> size/type of project you could do it in 25% also for the start, 2
> milestones, and 25% on completion. If a client doesn't feel comfortable
> putting money upfront, I kindly decline and move on.

I'm not sure of the actual numbers, but my company does that as well.  I think
this was discussed a few months back as well, and the consensus seemed to
be "bill in stages" with clear milestones and deliverables.  Whether payment
is by PayPal, check, or delivered using IP-over-avian-carrier, staged billing
gives both you and the client a sense of security as well as a safe exit
point if there's a problem that can't be resolved.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson