[consulting] Encourage people to post jobs on groups

Michael Haggerty mhaggerty at trellon.com
Fri May 25 22:29:49 UTC 2007

I personally think being lax on rules around job postings and offering
multiple outlets for finding people is a good thing. Recruiting people to
fill technical positions in any field tends to be hard work, and finding
good Drupal programmers who can work as members of a team is an art, not a
science. The Drupal project benefits from having an ecology of development
firms ready to implement sophisticated solutions, and the more ways there
are for people to talk to one another about employment, the better.

Trellon has recently been looking to hire developers. We posted
announcements here, the jobs board, craigslist, and a few social networking
sites we like. We received about 80 responses for the 4 positions we
advertised.

The responses we received broke down into 4 categories:

- 20 were from consulting firms outside the US offering to do work for
little or no money.

- 15 were from independent consultants, a couple of whom charged higher
rates than what we charge our clients (which was interesting, considering
most of them had no contributions to Drupal).

- 25 of them were PHP developers with experience in other FOSS CMS systems
and our sector.

- 20 of them were Drupal developers with experience ranging everywhere from
1 month of theming to members of the Drupal security team.

By advertising everywhere and talking to everyone we could, we were able to
be fairly selective and find people who were not just good programmers but
also a good organizational fit (and we really do love all the new people
coming on board). We also found a lot of people with very specific
competencies we can pull in when working on larger jobs.

We did the same thing about a year ago without advertising in so many places
and the results were vastly different. We received about 20 responses from
people with little or no experience in Drupal and had to train people from
within. It takes about 6 months to get someone productive (by my obsessive
standards) when all they know is PHP, and not everyone decides they like
Drupal, so there is actually a risk factor involved in training people.

If I had to say what needs to happen it would be nothing. Let people post
RFPs, job announcements, contracts, bounties, freelance offerings, etc. in
any of the places they already do. Every time a connection is made between a
developer, firm or a client, it directly benefits the Drupal project because
some party is getting a problem solved. The more paths there are to making
connections between people in the community, the better.

Thank you,
Michael Haggerty
Managing Partner
Trellon, LLC