[consulting] Drupal.org advertising proposals requested

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Sat May 26 19:33:51 UTC 2007

-1 for paid advertisements appearing on Drupal.org --

+1 for a series of donor pages of organizations who pay to support the
infrastructure/Association, with links to web sites of the
companies/individuals donating --

 From Kieran's email, it's hard to tell where exactly the ads might
appear on the site, but any mixing of ads with content (specifically if
it's context-related, for example having ads for hosting companies next
to handbook pages on how to build a hosting environment) could blur the
lines between content and ads, particularly in a multinational community
where English isn't always the first language

As soon as there are "responsible hosting and consulting practices,"
which, as Kieran has said, are yet to be determined, it's pretty
difficult to distinguish between companies who meet these standards (and
there will need to be a screening process for these standards to mean
anything) and companies who are Association Approved.

I'm all for getting more money into the Association to defray expenses
and support growth. The stronger the community is, the greater the
potential for companies working directly with Drupal. Presenting ads
alongside content is not the way to go. Donor pages provide a good
middle ground -- recognition for organizations who put money into d.o
and the Association, without diluting the quality of the content and the
user experience.

And yes, I'm ready to hear many people saying that ads can be ignored,
that they're everywhere so we don't even notice them, etc. I still hold
that screen real estate is valuable, and that people looking for content
should be able to focus on content and not screening out unwanted visual
noise.

Cheers,

Bill

Kieran Lal wrote:
> In 2006,  Drupal.org <http://Drupal.org> traffic increased 250%.  In
> order to prepare for future growth of Drupal.org <http://Drupal.org>
> and the needs of the Drupal community the Drupal Association is
> looking into starting a paid advertising program.  We believe that
> paid advertising that is relevant to the needs of Drupal
> administrators, Drupal users, and the Drupal community can be placed
> in relevant sections of Drupal.org <http://Drupal.org> and help the
> Drupal community greatly by funding improvements and infrastructure
> for Drupal.org <http://Drupal.org> websites.
>
> If you represent a company interested in participating please get in
> touch via this email.  We are looking for proposals from:
>
> * Hosting companies that provide reliable, secure hosting of Drupal
> web sites.
> * Web development and consulting companies and practioners which
> provide contributions back to the Drupal community.
>
> Advertisements on Drupal.org <http://Drupal.org> web sites will be
> marked as paid advertisements and must meet responsible hosting and
> consulting practices which are to be determined.  The Drupal
> Association will not explicitly endorse any advertisers.
>
> Funds raised from advertising will go to the Drupal association and
> fund infrastructure, and support improvements in Drupal.org
> <http://Drupal.org> to meet the needs of the Drupal community.  The
> Drupal association will also offer paid memberships to the Drupal
> association, for supporters that do not wish to advertise but still
> wish to support the Drupal project.
>
> Thank-you,
> Kieran Lal
> Drupal Association fund raising board member
>

> --
> To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Bill Fitzgerald
http://www.funnymonkey.com
Tools for Teachers
503.897.7160