[consulting] Drupal.org advertising proposals requested

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Sun May 27 14:23:02 UTC 2007

On May 27, 2007, at 12:01 AM, The Golden Condor ! wrote:

> Using an existing ads provider is much easier
> than trying to manage ads internally. Of course, it doesn't have to be
> Google. There are several alternatives. It all boils down to who can
> provide the highest CPC (cost per click) and the highest revenue
> share.

I could not disagree more. Drupal.org has much more in its mission
than raking in big bucks. I would hope that any decision would result
in the strengthening of the community, not cashing in. This is a free
open source community, not a commercial website venture. I strongly
feel that simply going after the highest CPC (or CPM, which is
becoming much more common because CPC is far too vulnerable to click
fraud and advertising is not always about click-throughs) could end
up undermining the community.

A rough analogy: We live in Boulder, on the edge of mountains.
Everybody loves looking at the mountains. Think of all those
eyeballs. Should Boulder sell billboard space on the mountainsides to
cash in on all that attention? It sure would bring in a lot of cash.
But does that make Boulder a better place, in the end? It's a rough
analogy, to be sure, and related more directly with aesthetic beauty
than we're talking here at d.o, but I hope it illustrates in a way
how commercial exploitation of the Drupal commons runs the risk of
diminishing the value of the commons.

I hope that any advertising program would somehow reinforce the
Drupal community. Perhaps make the advertising opportunity only
available to people and companies that have made tangible (code &
documentation) contributions to Drupal directly. That might even have
the effect of incentivizing larger companies like Yahoo and IBM, who
have been working various R&D projects on Drupal but have not given
back, afaik, to contribute their code improvements (assuming they are
improvements) in order to have the chance to advertise with a modest
presence.

My own feeling is that introducing advertising runs the risk of
fracturing what has so far been a very pure do-ocracy. Drupal's
success suggests there's something right about how things have been
done so far. Big money hardly ever comes in without strings.

Laura

Laura Scott
pingVision, LLC

1350 Pine Street, Suite 1