[consulting] Drupal.org advertising proposals requested

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Tue May 29 05:09:56 UTC 2007

On 5/28/07, Ashraf Amayreh <mistknight at gmail.com> wrote:

> What about google ads and so forth? Shouldn't be troublesome to implement
> and may provide a good income. I'm surprised how anyone clicks these things,
> but I heard from a friends he gets a pretty large income from that...

"We believe that paid advertising that is relevant to the needs of Drupal
administrators, Drupal users, and the Drupal community can be placed in
relevant sections of Drupal.org and help the Drupal community greatly by
funding improvements and infrastructure for Drupal.org websites."

Two things we are looking for.
1) Relevant to the needs of Drupal community
-- I'd like to see a proposal that explains how Google Ads would be relevant
the needs of the Drupal community.

2) Placed in relevant sections
-- I'd like to see a proposal that includes offering advertising in relevant
sections.
e.g. When people go looking in the paid hosting forums explicitly to find a
paid hosting service would it make sense to have ads there.

Much of the knee jerk reaction against ads is because the many web sites are
a in fact a cesspool of ads.  The question we want the community to help us
answer, is can ads be helpful to the community, and can it be relevant?

If the answer is no, that's fine. Many people have provided thoughtful and
compelling reasons why we shouldn't do ads.

Cheers,
Kieran

Just my 2 cents ;-)

> On 5/28/07, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.