[consulting] Drupal.org advertising proposals requested

Sean Effel sean at crushyou.net
Tue May 29 08:13:31 UTC 2007

On 5/29/07 1:09 AM, kieran at civicspacelabs.org hollered:

> Two things we are looking for.
> 1) Relevant to the needs of Drupal community
> -- I'd like to see a proposal that explains how Google Ads would be relevant
> the needs of the Drupal community.
>
> 2) Placed in relevant sections
> -- I'd like to see a proposal that includes offering advertising in relevant
> sections.
> e.g. When people go looking in the paid hosting forums explicitly to find a
> paid hosting service would it make sense to have ads there.

I¹m not very warm to the idea of Google being used as an ad service because
it doesn¹t specifically meet the needs within the community.  I¹m also not
interested in seeing non-drupal related ads on the site, which would come
through Google.  Keiran is right, there are a lot of cases made against a
general ad service.

>From my perspective, I would like to see Drupal make money from individuals
and companies that use Drupal.org to make money already.  Consultants,
developers, trainers (like me) and other folks who promote their commercial
services should be charged to do so.  A membership-like structure for
advertising sounds ideal. Maybe the commercial members have their own
category they pay to post in, and these posts are then sorted onto other
pages based on their tags or content.  Those posts can be moderated by the
community and the community can play a role in determining what kind of
advertising is appropriate on the site in an organic way.  This is not
unlike the way Craigslist charges realtors and recruiters to post and the
rest of the users post for free ­ and mostly everyone gets along.

I¹m also concerned about the pay structure.  Commercial Drupal outfits
could, in theory, buy their way to the top of the street cred list rather
than earn it like its done now.  I hope that this advertising plan is built
in a way to keep the advertising arena fairly level.

- -
Sean Effel
http://www.drupaltherapy.com