[consulting] Drupal.org advertising proposals requested

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Tue May 29 20:12:02 UTC 2007

On May 29, 2007, at 1:47 PM, Dan Robinson wrote:

> I thought I would point out (sorry if someone has already done
> this) that Craigslist obtains income entirely from a single
> source.   They charge people to place "Help Wanted" ads on their
> site.  That's it.  It's like $25 per post.  They bring in a lot of
> cash.  So for proposals I would suggest -
>
> - You look at a similar model of asking people to pay for certain
> kinds of access to the community, and
> - That a "tip jar" with recommended "tips" for different things
> should be added to the site asap.

While not categorically against this idea, I'd like to point out that
of primary interest here is that whatever is done ends up helping the
community dynamic, and the community thrives on participation.
Placing monetized barriers to entry for things like Drupal
development work could result in some negative impact on the greater
Drupal effort. We want people to participate, find help, provide
help, collaborate on things as easily as possible, and placing a toll
on any of that behavior will diminish that behavior, and then only
the larger, well-funded organizations would be able to post RFPs or
job listings, for example, while the low-budget endeavors could be
left having to cope in the free-listings ghetto. That would be a shame.

BTW, for accurate data points: Craig's list is free to post jobs for
most all metro regions, with few exceptions. Posting a job in NY
costs $25, in SF Bay area costs $75, per category listed. It's not a
ton of money, but for the person with a $1000 budget looking to hire
help, that barrier to posting could drive her elsewhere, away from
the Drupal expertise to be found on x.d.o.

Laura