[consulting] Contract > Developer liable for bugs?

Adam Mordecai mordecai at advomatic.com
Thu Aug 7 03:57:15 UTC 2008

additionally there is such a demand for drupalistas these days, they'd
be foolish to walk away. Make them meet your demands. They need you
more than you need them.

Adam Mordecai
Advomatic Partner
---------
AIM: AdamMordecai
Main: (303) 733-0215
Cell: (646) 625-9010
Fax: (213) 402-3541
----------
Advomatic
243 5th Ave, Suite 460
New York, NY 10016
http://www.advomatic.com

On Aug 6, 2008, at 8/6/08•9:51 , Roshan Shah - Gloscon wrote:

Agreed. Bug is a bug but the fundamental difference is that Open
Source software is not owned by 1 company just as it is in proprietary
world.  Drupal is popular because of its stable core and a very strong
developer and user community. But there is no way any consultant or
any consulting company should accept any financial liability should
there be any bug/defect in Drupal - because it is collective
development and contribution of many people with no intention of
getting $$$ by contributing back the code to the community.

When someone works, they do work for here. Our contracts have nearly
60+ assumptions where we cover almost every risk. We even limit our
liability to core or contributed modules or the development we do to
only 30 days post deployment. We even have contracts written that
clients have to test the staging version and report all bugs within 7
days after we put the development version on staging.

Adam is right - the way the original contract in this thread is
drafted is a huge risk. We certainly would walk away from the project
rather than get into such contracts.

Roshan
604-630-4292
http://www.gloscon.com
Skype : bpocanada

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Jason Flatt <drupal at oadaeh.net> wrote:
On Wed Aug 6 2008 4:20:49 pm Sam Cohen wrote:

 > When building a Drupal site, I would never assume liability for bugs,
 > unless bugs are very clearly defined as part of something I
wrote.   It's
 > not like they're paying a $100,000 licensing fee for the software.
It's
 > open source after all. There are going to be bugs --

I've got news for you. There are bugs in $100,000 licensing fee
software. It
doesn't matter whether the source is open or closed. Making excuses
for open
source software doesn't help its acceptance.

--
Jason Flatt
http://www.oadaeh.net/

Gloscon Solutions Inc
Open Source Web 2.0 Development Company
*Drupal *Ruby on Rails
T : 604.630.4292 (Canada)
T : 323.319.3609 (US)
Skype : bpocanada
Training/Incubation/Dedicated Resources : OpenKick.com