[consulting] Contract > Developer liable for bugs?

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 10:17:23 UTC 2008

Adam Mordecai wrote:
> I'll touch base with Aaron and see what he's comfortable releasing. We
> had it vetted by a IP Tech Lawyer with decades of experience. It
> occasionally causes negotiation headaches due to its thoroughness, but
> its well worth having for your protection.

Contractors in the UK might want to check out the PCG

amongst other benefits membership includes access to standard contracts.

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=41&id=136&Itemid=153

These limit liability to the higher of £100,00 or 125% of the total fees

It also excludes liability for loss of profit etc.

What I haven't got yet is a contract that satisfactorily  clarifies
licensing/copyright issues where some work is GPL and some is custom
code with copyright ownership up for negotiation.

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk