[consulting] Screencast Comparing Usability of TinyMCE vs. "MarkSmarty" HTML helper

Yuval Hager yuval at avramzon.net
Thu Aug 14 08:10:47 UTC 2008

> *So I made a screencast comparing the too* <http://blip.tv/file/1170327>. I
> tried to get a bit funny, whether I succeeded is another matter. Also, I
> got burned out with iMovie at the end the production values kind of tank at
> the end.
>
> It's 7 minutes. Leave a comment on Blip, or here. I'm curious as to what
> you think of the screencast AND to know about whether you try to convince
> clients to NOT use a WYSIWYG.

Yup, it's funny and nice, alas extremely biased. You could claim similar
unusability claims about marksmarty (how do you create numbered linked lists?
how do you *see* how your images look etc.).

The one thing that keeps me off using marksmarty for content is the fact that
it sticks forever. Should I want to remove marksmarty, switch to a WYSIWYG or
move to another CMS later, the content is unusable.
If marksmarty would have saved the content with HTML, but translated back
every time I need to edit it, then I would be fine.

Actually, this goes back to the 70's when TeX was introduced, and is still one
of the greatest inventions of content publishing, although the crowd still
prefers to use (*gasp*) WYSIWYG apps.