[consulting] Screencast Comparing Usability of TinyMCE vs. "MarkSmarty" HTML helper

Trevor Twining trevortwining at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 12:12:45 UTC 2008

I think it's a neat idea (I'm a textile convert myself), but in a
comparison, I think the examination needs to be a bit more objective. If
you're promoting the benefits of a HTML helper, then a slight rename is
all that's required. It just highlights your bias and then everyone knows.

As for the sticks forever thing, that's a valid point. If you need to
replace the marked up content at any point, just open the node using it,
and save the filtered content back into the node.

I also find it easier to search/replace for the helper markup than I do
HTML in case I need to strip it out.

TT

Yuval Hager wrote:
>> *So I made a screencast comparing the too* <http://blip.tv/file/1170327>. I
>> tried to get a bit funny, whether I succeeded is another matter. Also, I
>> got burned out with iMovie at the end the production values kind of tank at
>> the end.
>>
>> It's 7 minutes. Leave a comment on Blip, or here. I'm curious as to what
>> you think of the screencast AND to know about whether you try to convince
>> clients to NOT use a WYSIWYG.
>>

> Yup, it's funny and nice, alas extremely biased. You could claim similar
> unusability claims about marksmarty (how do you create numbered linked lists?
> how do you *see* how your images look etc.).
>
> The one thing that keeps me off using marksmarty for content is the fact that
> it sticks forever. Should I want to remove marksmarty, switch to a WYSIWYG or
> move to another CMS later, the content is unusable.
> If marksmarty would have saved the content with HTML, but translated back
> every time I need to edit it, then I would be fine.
>
> Actually, this goes back to the 70's when TeX was introduced, and is still one
> of the greatest inventions of content publishing, although the crowd still
> prefers to use (*gasp*) WYSIWYG apps.

Trevor Twining
mail:trevortwining at gmail.com | skype:trevortwining