[consulting] Screencast Comparing Usability of TinyMCE vs. "MarkSmarty" HTML helper

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Thu Aug 14 15:36:49 UTC 2008

Gang,

Thanks for the feedback and discussion. I agree, I should title the video
more clearly as an argument for using an HTML helper over a WYSIWYG.

Regarding paste from Word features. I've only used TinyMCE, but I've never
succeeded at getting that to work right. I can never get it do what I want.
Like I'll get ordered, but it won't handle strong or emphasis. And then
there are all those wacky MS style definitions.

I think the key with TinyMCE is being a ninja of the settings choices and
also knowing how those settings are going to play with any of the other
input filters you have. To me, the requirement to do all that fussing
inherently makes a site less stable and increases the maintainace costs for
the client.

One solution that I tried, and rejected, was telling a client certain
situations in which they should turn the WYSIWYG off. But they wouldn't
remember. And having the link to change to a plane text box was totally
confusing. On installs where I do have TinyMCE running, that link never
shows cause I require everyone, but me, to use TinyMCE in order to avoid
that confusion.

Regarding the stickiness issue and "what if there is no Markdown module in
the future?." I think nodes using Markdown degrade rather nicely when the
Markdown module is not running. I totally agree with Trevor that converting
abandoned Markdown is a lot easier than fixing broken HTML. And in a post
HTML world -- nodes without HTML will transition more easily.

I think the fact that copying from Word or a web page and pasting into a
plain text box strips out formatting -- is actually a* feature* of a plain
text box. For my clients with TinyMCE, I actually have to add to the
workflow: "Copy from Word or the web and then paste into Note Pad. Then copy
and paste into the Drupal node/add." Wow -- all so that they can see the
photo in the editor instead of a reference to it?

Has anyone else ever had to recommend to clients to paste into Note Pad as
an intereim step? One thing that clients don't want are extra steps in the
workflow. They think they want this rich editor thing, and I'm experimenting
with trying to make the hard sell that they'd be better without it.

Shai