[consulting] Screencast Comparing Usability of TinyMCE vs. "MarkSmarty" HTML helper

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Thu Aug 14 15:51:07 UTC 2008

> I think the fact that copying from Word or a web page and pasting into a
> plain text box strips out formatting -- is actually a* feature* of a plain
> text box. For my clients with TinyMCE, I actually have to add to the
> workflow: "Copy from Word or the web and then paste into Note Pad. Then copy
> and paste into the Drupal node/add." Wow -- all so that they can see the
> photo in the editor instead of a reference to it?
>
> Has anyone else ever had to recommend to clients to paste into Note Pad as
> an intereim step? One thing that clients don't want are extra steps in the
> workflow. They think they want this rich editor thing, and I'm experimenting
> with trying to make the hard sell that they'd be better without it.
>
> Shai

No matter how many times I warn clients not to paste Word directly into
TinyMCE they do it anyway -- and then wonder why the formatting is so
screwy.   For a few habitual offenders I've turned TinyMCE off by default,
and that has helped.

The paste from Word plugin actually does a decent job of remembering the
formatting and stripping out the tags -- but what I would really love is a
plugin that stripped out all the Word tags on pasting.

To me the second biggest annoyance with TinyMCE is when clients change thngs
a lot like colors and then wonder why it isn't working the way they want and
you go in and you see 20 span tags in a row.

A great Drupal filter would be one that cleans up messy html and strips out
Word Tags -- anyone know of a good function that does that?  I can turn it
into a filter and share.

Nonetheless, I can't imagine my clients going with an editor that isn't
WYSIWYG.   It's a common expectation.  But I find if I just give them a few
buttons it works a lot better.

Sam