[consulting] Patenting Drupal solutions

Andrew R. Kelly arkelly at cognisync.com
Fri Dec 12 19:28:49 UTC 2008

I understand the sentiment amongst the open source developers, but this is a
*consulting* list and a consultant has asked how to respond to a client
question.  IMO I think the question is natural, I'm assuming this is a small
client who is about to shell out a bunch of money for some software work,
and simply wants to know if he can own what he pays for.

Brett, if I were you I'd do a bit of homework on patenting (maybe start here
http://www.nccmembership.co.uk/pooled/articles/BF_WEBART/view.asp?Q=BF_WEBAR
T_295020 ), because it is an expensive and questionably valuable thing in
the software world, and just give your client the information he/she needs
to get the deal closed (of course qualifying that you are, in fact, not a
lawyer).

Andrew