[consulting] Example of Collaborative Knowledgebase Sites?

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Tue Feb 17 16:53:21 UTC 2009

Drupal consultants,

I've been away. Thanks for the thoughtful comments, advice, links etc.

Regarding tagging/usability and a knowledge base. I really appreciate the
usability comments about tagging from Bill and other comments etc.

"Knowledge base" might be a bit too grand a word in my situation. Right now
there is an active group of folks who gather around a list serve. A list
serve is so limited. The users never go to the archive. Even if we were
simply able to change the groups behavior to do the same kind of posting
they currently do, but on a Drupal forum -- I feel the "knowledge base" part
would be vastly improved simply with core's Drupal search and Core's
node/comment threading. Though I plan to experiment with community tags,
this group will likely be hiring a part time community manager who would be
*paid* to tag content.

The first issue I'd deal with on this front is that it is a huge leap for
people to switch from a list serve to a web forum. Now I'm investigating
Mailhandler and Listhandler modules in addition to subsciption module/
comment_notify etc. to figure out the best way to replicate a list serve
situation for those who are most comfortable with that and don't want to log
in to anything or go to the web for this purpose.

Re *wikis*: I use a simple test to decide whether a wiki makes sense in a
particular situation: thinking from the perspective of the user of the
knowledge, is the identiy of the author and/or knowledge about the author's
background relevant? If yes, it's not a good candidate for  a wiki. If the
answer, "no" the author is not relevant, then a wiki is likely a good idea.

In the situation I'm asking advice about, much of the knowledge/wisdom being
presented is coming out of the personal life-experience of the person. By
assoicating the content with its author in very clear ways, the users are
helped to contextualize the "knowledge" and thus better apply it (or not
apply it) to their own situations.

This is precisely why there is also a need for some of the functionalities
of social networking, such as user profiles. Since the knowledge shared is
so closely tied to the person from whom it comes, it is only logical that
such a web site would make it easy for folks to learn about each other's
lives -- *in the service of making the knowledge more useful*. And that is
why some aspects of social networking functions on sites is so important --
even though Facebook, the mother of all social networking, will implement
all of this stuff in a much more sophisticated way. It's worthwhile to
replicate aspects of Facebook, *but only when there is a reason to do so*,
as I believe there is here. In short, people are not connecting to become
friends (thought that certainly happens), but because knowing
users/contributers of the site makes the value of their contributions more
valuable.

best,

Shai
Content2zero <http://content2zero.com>