[consulting] List for Independent Drupal Consultants -- Anyone?

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Sat Jan 10 17:34:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Adam Mordecai <mordecai at advomatic.com>wrote:

> The majority of people on this list are independent developers, to splinter
> it even more would cause a low traffic list to be even more low traffic.

That's a fair point, but I didn't think anyone would mind, given this list
gets about 2 posts a month and is for all intents and purposes it is
dormant.

I'm hoping to start an active lists/group with, potentially, many posts a
day.   But more importantly, this list is, as its described,  "A list for
Drupal consultants and Drupal service/hosting providers."

*What I'd like to start is a support community specifically for independents
and not just about consulting* -- one where we can discuss anything related
to Drupal, from the unique challenges of being a one man/woman show to
theming and coding issues.  The group would be tied together by a common
thread, which is that we are all one-person operations, either full time or
part time.

My experience shows me there's a huge difference when it comes to being a
one-person operation and being part of a shop, definitely enough to support
its own group.

It would also give the independents some of the community and advantages
that people who already work as a group have.

For example, when I worked as part of a team, it was really easy to just ask
coworkers for help as they were being compensated for their time, and I can
give help to my team and I was being compensated, all by my employer who
understood that employees helping each other was important.

But now, as an independent, I no longer have that advantage, and I think a
group of independents, even though it's their own time and dime, would be
willing to help one another the way those who work for a company do.

Best,
Sam