[consulting] List for Independent Drupal Consultants -- Anyone?

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Sat Jan 10 19:53:15 UTC 2009

> There are many issues that can be resolved by writing more code, changing
> how drupal works. Those are really where the developers excel. However, this
> list was focused on how to use the current tools and to not go into the
> process of solving every problem by re-re-writing code to make it work a
> specific way.
>
> Developers tend to be code-facing and use that hammer to solve problems.
> Consultants tend to be client-facing and are using a different set of tools
> to solve problems. Specifically they tend to see Drupal as a tool to solve a
> problem instead of a project in need of attention.
>
> Which is why this is a different list than the developers lists.

I don't see how you can be a  Drupal consultant and not also be a
developer.  By developer, I mean writing custom php to make a site work, be
it though a custom glue module that uses hooks and/or through template.php
and theme development.

It's true that different projects require different amounts of coding, and
some very little.

But I can't see how any Drupal consultant, who doesn't work with a shop, can
make a living without also being a developer, unless they are just scoping
out projects and then subcontracting to developers.

I don't get the distinction.

Sam