[consulting] List for Independent Drupal Consultants -- Anyone?

John Sechrest sechrest at ao.com
Sat Jan 10 20:07:04 UTC 2009

Are there no problems/projects or websites that can be build by drupal that
have value, which don't require writing new code?

It seems to me that the better drupal gets , the more often you can get what
you want without writing code.  And just because it does not take code to
solve the problem, often configuring drupal so that it is what someone wants
is more than the average lay person can do.

And that is the space that many consultants are in.

And even if they do need to subcontract out to get code , it is not the
primary focus.

There are developer-consultants are are in the specific space of always
writing the next new bit of something. But that need was met by the
developer lists.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Sam Cohen <sam at samcohen.com> wrote:

>> There are many issues that can be resolved by writing more code, changing
>> how drupal works. Those are really where the developers excel. However, this
>> list was focused on how to use the current tools and to not go into the
>> process of solving every problem by re-re-writing code to make it work a
>> specific way.
>>
>> Developers tend to be code-facing and use that hammer to solve problems.
>> Consultants tend to be client-facing and are using a different set of tools
>> to solve problems. Specifically they tend to see Drupal as a tool to solve a
>> problem instead of a project in need of attention.
>>
>> Which is why this is a different list than the developers lists.
>>

> I don't see how you can be a  Drupal consultant and not also be a
> developer.  By developer, I mean writing custom php to make a site work, be
> it though a custom glue module that uses hooks and/or through template.php
> and theme development.
>
> It's true that different projects require different amounts of coding, and
> some very little.
>
> But I can't see how any Drupal consultant, who doesn't work with a shop,
> can make a living without also being a developer, unless they are just
> scoping out projects and then subcontracting to developers.
>
> I don't get the distinction.
>
> Sam

>> --
>> John Sechrest          .