[consulting] Who exactly is this list for?

Andrew R. Kelly arkelly at cognisync.com
Wed Mar 4 15:29:43 UTC 2009

I would love to see this list essentially act as the consulting arm of
Drupal, Inc.  My background is in the services arm of a software vendor, and
that group does essentially what this list membership does - takes a
software product and tries to create solutions for it, sell it and implement
it, all for maximum profit.  Our little Drupal team has been successful in
creating solutions, contracting with large clients and maximizing revenue -
I'd love to be more participative if this group values that sort of dialog.

I have seen on this mailing list some comments that are honestly counter to
the goals above - for instance someone once posed a question of how to use
Drupal as a solution for some problem, and was told (I'm paraphrasing) "Try
xxx product instead".  In my mind, this group should never tell someone NOT
to use Drupal if it's a possible solution, because we're here together to
promote/extend Drupal and penetrate as many markets as we can.  Its Drupal
first on this list right?

I might be too business-centric though for active participation in this
group, which is why I tend to stand on the sidelines and watch (though last
week's train wreck was painful).

Andrew

  _____