[consulting] Who exactly is this list for?

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Wed Mar 4 19:13:48 UTC 2009

Andrew,

(I apologize if this is a little long and rambling - I don't have a
chance to go over it and cut it down before I meet with a client!)

I probably wouldn't refer to myself as 'tool-agnostic' since I use
Drupal on 95% of my projects. It's my go-to software provided the
project isn't one of the small number which aren't suited to Drupal.

I agree with you that the conversations on this list should be aligned
with proliferating Drupal in a responsible manner. I know I wrote this
in an earlier post, but I want to emphasize it again as I believe it
lies at the root of our disagreement: Being mostly consultants on this
list already familiar with Drupal and its capabilities and shortcomings,
I don't think much is lost recommending Drupal-only solutions to them
regardless of suitability. However, I think it would be irresponsible
of/to the Drupal community to recommend Drupal to a newer Drupal user
for a job it is not cut out for. This is likely to leave the user
frustrated with Drupal, and leave a bad impression of this software.

I have much confidence that many of us, on this list, could make Drupal
do whatever we wanted it to given enough time and dev money. However,
there are others on this list who can't - they just don't have the
experience or depth of knowledge yet. When someone asks about whether
Drupal is suited for a given project, I will do my best to recommend
what needs to be done to accomplish it with Drupal. I think it's also
valuable to make the person aware of the challenges implementing it in
Drupal over another software package would introduce.

I think this mailing list has the potential to be one of the best tools
for improving Drupal in the community. As a group, I imagine we put
Drupal through a larger variety of real-world projects than any other
group. I also believe that we have the best view of Drupal's
shortcomings. This is what we can use to improve Drupal.  I believe open
and honest discussion as to the suitability of Drupal to various project
types will drive improvement.

I don't believe that being a 'Drupal Consultant' requires you to only
use Drupal, and ignore its shortcomings. I enjoy hearing reasoned
arguments over why someone chose 'X' software package over Drupal - it
helps me, in my role as a Drupal Consultant, to advise my clients on
whether or not Drupal is suitable for their projects.

Brian