[consulting] Sluggishness Concern - thoughts on Drupal problem solving

Dave Maddox davesoftdes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 17:26:59 UTC 2009

Hi Sam,

Thoughts on Drupal problem solving (no real fix for Sam here, sorry):

 From my experience with Drupal, it's a great idea to ask before you
start drilling down to root cause(s), because often the answer involves
a side effect or configuration that isn't directly related  to where the
problem manifests anyway. Big systems are like that, and your offering
the 40,000 foot view with the key changes involved is a great start,
though naming the modules involved might trigger an idea in someone also.

Conversely, if you think you know where the problem is, you could easily
waste your time and others' hunting in the wrong woods. Drupal is
Zen-like to me, a strange balance of computer science and ineffable,
evolving Drupal concepts. As in Zen, wisdom is in knowing that you don't
know, and keeping your mind open about solutions. Either that, or
following a cookbook.

Nine times out of ten when I head to the web with Drupal questions I
have ruled out (as best I reasonably can) the easy answers, PHP code
issues, etc. My next solutions involve either talking with folks at a
meetup or trying keywords as I search through Drupal.org and other
sources of wisdom. The trend away from 'Drupalisms' has helped those
searches immensely. Learning Drupal for me is better seen as an
apprenticeship, the real wisdom is almost an oral tradition!

One question I ask, as a relative Drupal newbie, which often elicits
just the answer I needed: is there anything others are assuming I've
done that I haven't? It's a challenge for the experienced as habits fold
in and often aren't on any checklist.

At a LAMP meeting I attend we have the benefit of an ex-MySQL employee
who has the big picture of the database/cache layers in his head and he
can usually see the problem right then and there. Out of courtesy
perhaps, he rarely asks about application design issues, just
implementation, so there are lots of assumptions in the process.

 From talking with our phone support folks when I worked at HP, I
learned a bit about the other side of problem solving - step by step, no
assumptions. I'm generally more intuitive at first, so I forget the
value of deliberateness. If you can find someone with the patience to
review your configuration and design even in abstraction, that might
help too.

One of the first times such a review paid off for me, something simple
as displaying text - I forget the specific issue - using the method I
had chosen inadvertantly invoked a huge chunk of code in Drupal, costing
a lot of performance! I had no idea of the internals at that point, and
to more experienced Drupal folks this was a classic newbie mistake
though it was far from obvious. If something in Drupal has changed which
your code has tripped over, the general opinions that 'nothing has
changed' wouldn't help. If you're doing something 'clever' folks working
on Drupal Core might not have thought of you. :-) Experience beats
theory in this case, just like the old mantra 'it should just work' has
become a running joke at many places I've worked.

Here's hoping your answer is simple, but until you find it, it sure isn't!

Best,
Dave Maddox