[consulting] Sluggishness Concern

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Thu Mar 5 18:43:35 UTC 2009

I would say no to Dreamhost's shared hosting.

I used them for a few years for non-critical sites. Generally they are
very good about resource usage and the like. They are not reliable - at
least 100 hours downtime per year that I was with them. For what I was
using them for at the time, it wasn't a big deal. But I would never
recommend them for a client.

Their support is poor as well - often, you get a response to an email
inquiry in 24 hours. However, some times it's taken up to 72 hours and
repeated tickets to get ahold of support. I had a site where the MySQL
server was not accepting connections. It took 36 hours before they
answered my ticket and rebooted that instance, clearing everything up.
By that time, I had moved on.

I've enjoyed Mosso's cloud hosting for the last few months. It has a few
drawbacks including no shell accounts, although they are supposed to
happen Q1 2009. However, they've been rock solid - absolutely no
downtime or even slow time. The tech support can be reached within 30
seconds if you need them. All in all, great value for the money. Just
make sure, when setting up a new site, to uncomment 'RewriteBase /' in
the .htaccess....

Regards,

Brian