[consulting] preparing clients for Drupal 5 obsolesence

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 01:49:22 UTC 2009

and you'll get more customers for your services
I ll need some patches too...
no, I cant see why that meets resistance , if thats what part of the users
require...

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Christian Pearce <christian at pearcec.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Eric Goldhagen <eric at openflows.com> wrote:
>
>> At 11:34 PM +0100 3/9/09, Lafont, Denis wrote:
>> >+1 for me.
>> >
>> >All our new engagements are D6, and starting to convince D5 users to
>> >switch to D6 now that most key modules have been migrated.
>> >
>> >Your "no more security patch in 9 months" is a very valid point ;-)
>>
>> We are starting any new projects that come in using D6 but intend to
>> maintain the sites of any number of clients that will still run D5
>> for some unknown time into the future.
>>
>> Many of our smaller non-profit clients can't afford to upgrade often
>> enough to keep up with the pace of drupal development.
>>
>> Our solution has been to backport security patches that are relevant
>> to older versions. We did this for 4.6 when 5 came out, and have been
>> doing it with 4.7 since the release of 6. This gives folks the extra
>> time necessary to handle the cost and time of upgrades.
>>
>> Once 7 is out, we'll do the same for 5.
>>
>> We've asked a couple of times to have a space on Drupal.org or in the
>> repository for these backports but have met resistance, so we host
>> them on our own site as a service to the community.
>> http://openflows.com/drupal/security
>>

> This is great.  I have about 5 sites I did for a customer.  Facing the idea
> of upgrading them anytime soon would probably drive them away.  So I
> considered doing the backports myself.  Glad to see someone picked up that
> torch. Most of the fixes are trival.
>
> I can see why you were met with resistance.  But as a consultant you can't
> always convince your customers to upgrade.  And if they are happy with the
> functionality why through out the code base and make the spend the money.
> This sort of reminds me of http://fedoralegacy.org/.  I guess it
> eventually shutdown.  I imagine because upgrading just got easier and
> easier.  Perhaps if drupal upgrades get easier and easier then the cost goes
> down and it becomes a no brainer.

>> | Openflows Community Technology Lab, Inc.
>> |
>> | Members of: the Mayfirst/Peoplelink Network
>> | Local 1180, Communications Workers of America
>> |
>> | http://openflows.com
>> | People are intelligent. Machines are tools.

> Christian

Paola Di Maio,
Forthcoming
IEEE/DEST 09 Collective Intelligence Track (deadline extended)

i-Semantics 2009, 2 - 4 September 2009, Graz, Austria.
www.i-semantics.tugraz.at

SEMAPRO 2009, Malta
http://www.iaria.org/conferences2009/CfPSEMAPRO09.html