[consulting] preparing clients for Drupal 5 obsolesence

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Tue Mar 10 02:24:37 UTC 2009

I'll sign on to this. Last time around, I had many clients who wanted
sites built on D6. It doesn't look good to have to explain that while
the shiny new toy has been released, you have to wait for a few months
before you can play with it in a serious way.

In the D5-D6 transition, I think a lot of modules were held up because
of Views & CCK. Many modules integrate with these two, and so until they
were ported in relatively final form, porting could not proceed up the
chain. Will we see the same this time around? During the D5->D6
transition, Views as well as a few other higher-profile modules went
through a major rewrite as well as porting. I don't believe the same is
true this time around. This should reduce the time for modules back up
the chain to port over.

Brian