[consulting] work for the real needs of humanity - Re: How is the market for Drupal talent?

Benjamin Melançon pwgdarchive at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 00:14:25 UTC 2009

One thing that frustrates me as a consultant is that for funding
easily available to aggregated small-money people using Drupal for web
sites, we could more than match the invaluable corporate and
foundation contributions– but as yet, the key part - aggregating needs
and funds - has not happened.

I'd very much like to see Sam Boyer's Decision-making API funded and
built (approved by the community but unfortunately not ultimately by
the Knight Foundation).

http://groups.drupal.org/node/14775#comment-68786

I've posted this idea in a couple places as comments but haven't
started broadcasting it; I'm really hoping to find some other people
willing to put in a matching grant to put in gear this always-idling
concept of community funding for specific Drupal modules and features.

DecisionmakingAPI wouldn't just be the first project funded, it could
also be used to make decisions about promoting other projects for
funding.

If we can get matching funds committed ($15K more than the $5K I'm
putting on the table; my financial stake in this is entirely on the
giving side) and persuasively make the case for adding
community-funding of Drupal needs to the mix that makes our open
source free software world rock, I think we can pull off a
perspective-shifting fundraising campaign.

ben

Agaric Design Collective
Open Source Free Software Web Development
http://agaricdesign.com/
ask at agaricdesign.com
774-286-1770