[consulting] Cleaning Up After Bad Developers

William Smith william.darren at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:38:12 UTC 2009

In addition to this, I often encounter the opposite as well - 'value'
programmers (usually general PHP coders with limited Drupal
experience) who made a mess of a site by not knowing how to do things
the Drupal way.   Javascript included in all manner of creative ways
and without making use of jQuery where it would be sensible to do so,
modules hacked and re-hacked where there were simple theme overrides
or custom module solutions, etc.., etc..

It drives me absolutely crazy when a client (who would initially
probably have thought me expensive) has been lead to be believe that
they are getting a 'good deal', only to have to pay someone else (at
that 'expensive' rate) to come in and fix all the problems the cheap
developer has left in their wake.  (Usually right before they bail on
the project because they are in over their head).

I've never used oDesk to find work, but I did join up in order to take
the Drupal qualifications test that they have for a spin.  I'm
generally in favor of this sort of thing at this point.  Too many
people knowing just enough about Drupal to make a real mess for the
people who've hired them.