[consulting] Cleaning Up After Bad Developers

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Tue Mar 24 13:56:26 UTC 2009

It seems to me there is room for different levels of expertise here.  There
are many small nonprofits and businesses that don't have the $100 to  $150
an hour for a developers.

Let's keep in mind, there are a lot of great sites out their that didn't use
a developer at all.

Many folks without a budget try doing it themselves, but get stuck.  So they
hire a newbie, someone who know a bit more than them to help them out.  Yes,
that person might not do things the right way, but if they did, they
wouldn't be an inexpensive developer.

As long as the developer working on the site doesn't claim to have expertise
he doesn't have and isn't charging $125 an hour for $30 an hour work, I
think there's room for those type of folks -- with simple sites with minor
customization.

When I client comes to me, I'm very open about that.  I tell them they can
find people cheaper than me and they can also find people more expensive --
and there are pros and cons with any choice.

Those building a site need to do their homework.  If they're paying $25 an
hour for a developer and others are charging 5 times that, they need to
realize there are things they aren't getting.

But I do think what Drupal is lacking is not accreditation, but an easy way
for those who do try and customize Drupal to quickly familiarize themselves
with the best practices for doing so.

The best I've found is the book Drupal Pro Development, highly recommended
to any new developer.

Sam

.