[consulting] Cleaning Up After Bad Developers

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Mar 25 00:56:53 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 8:50:39 am Greg Knaddison wrote:
> The first question is whether to blame the poor site on the consultant
> or the client (or both).  Any consultant with reasonable experience
> has had to take coding shortcuts they are unhappy with, walk away from
> a half-finished proejct, or simply stop supporting an unreasonable
> customer.  Jumping to conclusions after hearing one side of a story is
> rarely a good idea.
>
> Further, human nature is that my code/site/design is always elegant
> and yours is always crufty and overly complex.  We like the familiar
> and we like our own stuff...

Amen on both counts. :-)

I know full well that there are sites I built still running Drupal 5.1 or 5.2.
Why?  Because the client bid us adieu after the site was built (we can't force
them to keep us on retainer forever, even if we wanted to be) and hasn't
bothered to keep the site maintained.  It's hardly my fault that the 4.6 site
I built in 2005 was still running in 2008; I hadn't spoken to that client in
over 2 years.  And that site did have core mods (although they were
documented; it was before the magic of form_alter. <g>)

Sure, there are plenty of sites that were killed by an incompetent developer.
There are plenty of others killed by an incompetent client, incompetent spec,
incompetent designer, incompetent server admin... or by all competent people
being given 100 hours to do a 400 hour project, so corners get cut.

The better question is, how do we encourage people to be competent rather than
incompetent and how do we convince clients that a 400 hour project really does
take 400 hours if they don't want it to be a train wreck.  More competent
developers out there only helps the rest of us, as we're not getting a bad rep
by association.

--
Larry Garfield
larry at garfieldtech.com