[consulting] Estimation-Blowout case-studies wanted

John Fletcher net at saltwebsites.com
Sat Mar 28 22:14:25 UTC 2009

I agree, fascinating discussion. Victor, I think you should solve this
problem at the same time as the recently discussed "cleaning up after bad
developers" problem. The solution should not be named a union but an
industry group... like a group of professionals. Individuals/companies can
sign up, for which they pay a yearly fee. You review some of their work and
"certify" it, sort of, to allow them to join. Once they've joined, all work
produced by a member must be reviewed by another unrelated member, giving
clients a certain level of peer-review quality. This won't force an hourly
rate but you could recommend one for your members... at least they would
have something to stand on when they charge more.

Or something like that. No examples of something like this that worked come
to mind so it could be completely stupid; it's just some ideas floating
around my head.

But I did want to mention that the problem discussed in the "cleaning up
after bad developers" thread has nothing to do with Drupal. It has to do
with IT workers and exists in all facets of IT. Truthfully, it exists in
basically all kinds of work - that's why you get recommendations on a
builder instead of just opening the yellow pages, isn't it? I think
independent review would be the best way to solve it but I don't know of
that practice really existing at all in IT. I guess no-one wants to pay for
that.

Regards,

John