[consulting] Staying Current

Karen Stevenson karen at elderweb.com
Sun Mar 29 13:58:25 UTC 2009

The key to this is your assumption that there is "lots of customization". My
goal is always to do as *little* customization as possible by finding
modules that are a good fit and have lots of flexibility, or by educating
the client on ways to bend their goals a bit to do things in a way that they
can be done without a lot of customization, or by writing patches to modules
that make them flexible enough to do what I need them to do and contributing
the patches back so that they will be maintained and supported, and by
trying to avoid using modules that are not widely-adopted (which therefore
may have upgrade and maintenance problems).

If I do those things I hope to end up with sites that have very little
customization. That doesn't eliminate upgrade problems, but it makes the
upgrade much much more manageble.