[consulting] Staying Current

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Sun Mar 29 17:17:09 UTC 2009

Victor Kane wrote:

> Whereas I agree with your position that backports need to be
> considered (and so those of us that do should band together and work
> on that), you can't blame developers for having a developer-centric
> view of things.
> Karen explained: no-one can maintain more than two releases of a
> module they are maintaining...
> It's a question of resources.
And, more importantly, we don't *want* developers maintaining more than
two branches of a module. Some folks are better at chasing down the Next
Best Thing. Others are better at making that thing stable over time.
Both are valuable, and they don't need to be done by the same person.

We all have the freedom to chase after what we do best (which hopefully
aligns with what we want to do). It makes the community stronger.
Embrace it.

Cheers,

Bill