[consulting] Staying Current

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 17:25:50 UTC 2009

Victor Kane wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Sean Burlington
> <sean at practicalweb.co.uk <mailto:sean at practicalweb.co.uk>> wrote:
> OK guys, gentle, gentle, we're just discussing this here, no-one's
> telling anyone what to do.

oops - I was just thinking that I had allowed my frustration to show
more than is safe for a mailing list.

Sorry.

> I think Karen explained the situation very well.
>
> Whereas I agree with your position that backports need to be considered
> (and so those of us that do should band together and work on that), you
> can't blame developers for having a developer-centric view of things.
> Karen explained: no-one can maintain more than two releases of a module
> they are maintaining...
> It's a question of resources.

yes - in a way it's a question of handover.

When it becomes no longer worthwhile the developer maintaining an old
version of a module (or Core Drupal code) - but people are still using
them - how do we get the users to put their resources into a common pool?

and this to me is where it's exciting.

Plenty of companies have tentatively started using open source but
aren't yet familiar with the idea of giving back.

This could be a great opportunity to get them hooked on contributing.

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk