[consulting] Staying Current

Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg kaos777 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:56:38 UTC 2009

> You're clearly under the mistaken impression that I'm somehow asking for
your help.

> I'm not.

Odd, I thought you were using Drupal, the same Drupal that our shop and
tens-of-thousands of other developers help build and maintain every day.
Maybe the problem is that you don't understand all the help you (and we all)
already receive.

> I'm expressing an opinion that support for D5 will continue in one way or
another for some time.

And so will "support" for PHP 4. That doesn't make it any less bad to stay
with PHP 4 or Drupal 5. *Actual support* will end the day Drupal 7 is
released.

With that said, starting with Drupal 6m Acquia is guaranteeing sites will
remain supported for at least 3 years. Maybe others will follow, but I
certainly hpoe the community at large keeps with the 2 supported releases
mentality.

> Much of it contains information that they consider confidential.
>
> The client is not willing to release any of it.

And yet, they have zero control over most of the code you built the site
with. I'm pretty sure it's because you don't yet fully embrace OSS that your
clients don't. We've never lost a client due to our insistance that as much
as possible should be done within the context of the broader Drupal
community, mostly, I believe, because we make a strong case that doing
otherwise would be more expensive to maintain and support over time.

> Why are you telling me what to do?

I'm not telling you to do anything. You should feel free to do whatever the
heck you want, however, it's you who is trying to tell someone else what to
do in the next sentance:

> Despite the apparent reluctance of the Drupal establishment to accept
this.

Why should they accept it?

--
Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg
ZivTech, LLC
alex at zivtech.com
office: (267) 940-7737
cell: (215) 866-8956
skype: zivtech
aim: zivtech

2009/3/29 Sean Burlington <sean at practicalweb.co.uk>

> Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg wrote:
>>
>> And how much of that code have you released into the wild? It strikes
>> me that your problem may be, well, your problem. It's not up to me to
>
> You're clearly under the mistaken impression that I'm somehow asking for
your help.

> I'm not.
>
> I'm expressing an opinion that support for D5 will continue in one way or
another for some time.

> This has clearly already started for older versions of Drupal and I think
it will expand.

>> release your code and I can't force you to actually take an active
>> part in the community.
>>

> Most of my code is very specific to the client I worked for.
>
> Much of it contains information that they consider confidential.
>
> The client is not willing to release any of it.
>
> I have worked on a couple of generic items and may well use the knowledge
gained to contribute code - but my client won't pay for this.

>> Start generalizing/releasing your code, and maybe you won't have as many
issues.

> Why are you telling me what to do?
>
> ... and anyway I don't have "lot's of issues"
>
> I don't think backporting security fixes for D5 is going to be a major
challenge. I do think that those that need it will collaborate.