[consulting] Restrict Group Access to one User Login Account

Eric Goldhagen eric at openflows.com
Thu Oct 8 17:53:39 UTC 2009

At 1:22 PM -0400 10/8/09, Brian Vuyk wrote:
>I agree - if the accounts aren't meant to be personal, don't hold any
>personal information, then where is the harm, other than it's not a use
>case most Drupal developers don't have in mind?
>
>One of my past clients had ~3000 users worldwide over ~10 departments.
>It was much easier for them to use 10 generic, per-department accounts
>to access various data than manage 3000 separate user accounts.
>
>Brian

Much of the work I do involves private information, so I'm coming
from a perspective that puts user and data security over what on the
surface seems easier.

It's simply a bad practice and should only be done if there is no
other way around it.

Using shared accounts violates one of the primary rules of security,
you should be able to tie one login to one person so you can control
and audit their access over time.

Given some time, I could give a ton of reasons. Off the top of my
head, here's a few: By sharing an account, you have no ability to
keep information associated with that account private (don't assume
that users won't be stupid and accidently post information that
should remain private); you have no way of allowing people to
reset/change passwords after they login from public computers that
could be doing key logging or after they leave their notebook with
the passwords in a cab, in fact as this thread shows, you have to
explicitly put in effort to remove the ability of a user from setting
their own or resetting their own password or else one person could
lock everyone else out. There is no ability to log what actions were
done by what people and audit use of the system. With every extra
person sharing the account the risk of compromise or the account
being used by non-approved people grows.

Even if there is no private info there now, you have no idea what
people might end up doing over time. It's a good idea to always
follow security "best practices"

What does your past client do when someone is fired? Wouldn't it be
more sane to be able to turn off one account, rather than force an
entire department to remember a new password?

Just because it's "easier" does not mean it's a good idea or
something that should be done without looking at all other options
before making the decision.

I helped an organization clean up the mess created by a disgruntled
ex-employee a few years ago, after that they realized that it was far
better to deal with the extra burden of individual accounts rather
than face the possibility of having their entire operation brought to
a standstill for a few days.

This does not mean that I can't see any situations where it might be
the way to go, just that shared accounts always make me uncomfortable.

--Eric