[consulting] Restrict Group Access to one User Login Account

Eric Goldhagen eric at openflows.com
Thu Oct 8 21:01:10 UTC 2009

At 1:15 PM -0400 10/8/09, Sam Cohen wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Eric Goldhagen
><<mailto:eric at openflows.com>eric at openflows.com> wrote:
>

>I have to agree with all the folks that think it's a terrible idea to
>share accounts.
>

>I don't get it.   Maybe there's something I don't understand. Why is
>it such  a terrible idea to share accounts?  It seems to me the risk
>of something happening is next to nothing.  I mean, I'm not
>advocating it as a general practice, but I fail to see why it would
>be such a problem or what types or risks it poses.
>
>Sam

one last point. If this was a client of mine, I would explain to them
that because the students will be handling extremely sensitive and
private data once they become nurses, that the school has a
responsibility to teach them proper "data hygiene." If they still
insisted on using a shared account I'd put my objection in writing
and only do what they wanted if they agreed in writing that they
understood my concerns and rejected them.

I've done this with clients in the past. A few times they have signed
off and I held my nose and did what they wanted. Most times, however,
once faced with the reality of having to accept responsibility for
whatever problems might arise from their decision, they have gladly
followed my recommendations.

--Eric