[consulting] Restrict Group Access to one User Login Account

Eric Goldhagen eric at openflows.com
Thu Oct 8 21:36:24 UTC 2009

At 2:12 PM -0700 10/8/09, Bill Fitzgerald wrote:
>Hello, all,
>
>We have done similar things (although we have never required a client to
>sign off on overriding our objections) -- as a consultant, I see our
>role as providing the best advice possible, even if that means pushing
>back against a use case that has not been fully thought through.
>
>And, fwiw, part of "giving the best advice possible" includes admitting
>when a question or client need goes outside our area of expertise. At
>that point, we work to connect the client with the people who have the
>expertise they need.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Bill

I usually only ask for clients to sign off on things if the decision
involves data security. Especially when dealing with private
healthcare data, the security of which, in the US, is controlled by
law (HIPAA), I need to cover my ass and insist that a client sign off
on the direction if it goes against my recommendations.

Your point about what to do when you don't know the answer really important.

All too often I see people cover their lack of knowledge with a
smokescreen of jargon. I prefer to tell people "we don't know the
answer to that, we'll have to research it or bring in someone that
does" even if it means someone else will get paid to do the work. But
that might be why 90% of our work over the past 8 years has been
clients coming back with new projects or people referred by
past/existing clients. The trust of and reputation with the people we
work with and for is far more important to me than trying to be right
all the time.

In the past, I've seen a bunch of people request that their posts to
Drupal.org be deleted because they did not want their client to see
that they did not know the answer to something. From my perspective,
I'd much rather see that someone knows how and where to ask for
answers rather than have them pretend that they know everything.

--Eric