[consulting] Copy Protection/DRM approach

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Mon Oct 12 01:05:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 20:59 -0400, Jeff Greenberg wrote:
> As far as I can see, the original copyrighted material, print matter,
> is
> still available in print matter, and people can still run to a copy
> machine and make a copy of it, beyond fair use, if they want to.
> There
> is no way to completely prevent any copyright infringement other than
> (a) don't make the material available, or (b) police it.
>
> It's like not wanting dings on your car. That's fine. It's your car.
> You
> worked hard for it. No one should have the right to ding it. So you
> can
> post armed guards around it at the supermarket, not drive it, or
> accept
> that if you put it out there, it might get dinged.

I agree with that sentiment, that they can, the point that I was trying
to make is that it is too make it harder to do. If you have to look at
the source code of a document, then take a json string and convert it to
text, you might be less inclined to copy it and pass it on to a friend
that has not paid the dues, then if you can just print it to a PDF and
e-mail it. The same with photocopying, I have a number of books that I
may lend to a friend, but I have yet to photocopy an entire book and
pass it on. Though I do know it happens, but it does not happen often
enough that the profits are overly affected, else the publishers
wouldn't be making the sort of profits to stay in business.

Regards,
Sami