[consulting] Copy Protection/DRM approach

lapurd at gmail.com lapurd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 02:27:11 UTC 2009

Nobody is disagree that it is possible to make access "more
controllable" but original requirements described in email that start
this thread is state:
"... prevent getting the content out of the site in any way. He wants to
disable copy/paste, printing, screenshots, etc.".

And that requirement is "silly".
As it was explained before in this thread, it is possible with
combination to restrict access to content and make it hard to retrieve
"through some of back doors":

    * it is possible to disable copy/paste right from web page but not
      from source code of the page;
    * it is also possible to make content to be visible only in real
      browser and make it not retrievable for web site mirroring software;
    * it is possible to make browser do not use disk cache and therefore
      make it impossible to retrieve content from browser cache folder;
    * may be even in some browsers it is possible to disable printing
      right from that web page.

But without violating/hacking into user computer it is impossible to
disable operating system ability to take a screenshot.
So, point is that statement like "prevent getting the content out of the
site in any way" make an original requirements "silly".
Of course, it should be explain to client in most polite way.
Problem is that some times some of the clients firmly believes that they
are know what they talking about. And in this case it is not easy
situation when you'll try to point them out to they own mistake.