[consulting] Challenging an Assumption About What an Easy tpl.php Looks Like

Ryan Cross drupal at ryancross.com
Mon Oct 12 20:15:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Sam Cohen <sam at samcohen.com> wrote:

> What I do find a lot more readable in the mixed method is instead of all
> those <?php print $terms ?> statements is the simple <?=$terms ?> but I
> guess there's some good reason that method isn't used.

The syntax you refer to is called "short tags", and is not universally
supported (it has to be turned on in your php config). I think there may
also be arguments about performance on short tags, but the main issue is the
cross platform support.

This is also reflected in the coding standards, which may point to some more
detailed discussions if interested.