[consulting] Unionizing Drupal

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Sat Aug 7 08:40:51 UTC 2010

> I don't think we need anybody to regulate this, we are already a guild

Yes, but for what ends? The core of a guild system is not an apprentice
system,
but the guild itself that is controlled by the community and that further
has control over the behaviour of the both the apprentice and current
members.

The apprentice system is simply a system of control to further the agenda
of the
guild. It is a mechanism of control and for consolidating power.

What we have now establishes a hierarchy of sorts that might allow
employers to qualify
some developers as being competent or not (most don't qualify), but does
nothing whatsoever in terms of
protecting the wages earned by members of the guild.

Anyone may acquire the skills and lowball the market. Over time developing
countries
will become more proficient at doing this, destroying the salary in
developed countries...
unless of course the fashions keep shifting, which changes the game
somewhat and
developing countries need time to adapt to the changes... but over time
the system becomes
more efficient.

Something to consider.

Sami