[consulting] A chuckle

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Sat Aug 7 09:52:29 UTC 2010

> The wild running beast that is the Drupal market doesn't need
> regulation, just brace, be aware, grasp opportunities as they come and
> enjoy the ride. If you could regulate it, it would die.

This is a possibility. Once ruthless competition has started, getting in
its way does lead to destruction... as mentioned Wordpress might win.

> Service markets are not as liquid as we often think, there is too much
> meta-communication that is lost through mail and customers like seeing
> the people that build their sites. They often don't know the channels
> how to find the good low cost producers any way (if there are such
> channels).

Yes. Initially this is true, I don't think it's true over time, however.
I think over time communication grows more efficient. The outside players
make partner with the inside players, thereby trying to corner the market.
In the process destroying it.

> I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Europe all
> except multinationals want somebody who lives somewhere maximum 100 km
> away to do their sites, even if you speak the same language.
>
> So the doom scenario will not materialize.

Many multinationals in my country have established offices in 3rd world
countries... over time this increases, at least it becomes more
multi-polar.
The doom scenario will materialize, whether it is sustained though is
debatable.
In Europe your competition will come from other parts of Europe or Russia.

> The only way we can stay in the win is to keep on pushing the limits,
> specializing and innovating every day. Improving our tools and
> becoming more efficient all the time. The moment you stand still
> you've lost.

Yes. But even if you stay agile, it is not a guaranteed win...
especially when competition costs 10%.