[consulting] Drupal web design as hobby - shall I start consulting?

William Smith william.darren at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 09:06:47 UTC 2010

> Not all subcontracting gigs are bad. :-)  With a good company they can be a
> perfectly good way to focus on what you do best and let someone else handle
> the parts you don't want to deal with.

I agree with this.  I do both direct to client work and subcontracting, and
very often I find the subcontracting more to my liking.  Someone else deals
with the client and the bigger picture stuff, and I get to do what I am best
at and love.  Don't get me wrong -- on some projects I do want to have a
solid relationship with the client and more control, but it can be nice
sometimes to just focus on my primary skillset.  Often with subcontracting,
for me, it is repeat clients who basically say "We need x, y, z done and
nobody in house can figure out how to do it."  Challenges like that are what
keep me motivated and I am happy for them.

If a site can be built by 'point, click, point, click, point, click' I will
sometimes do them - it is a job.  But the pleasure is in coding and solving
difficult problems.  I find that subcontracting work provides with more of
the latter than the former.  If it wasn't tricky, then they wouldn't be
looking for someone else to do it.  And it can pay well.

Not intending to hijack the thread ... I'm reading with interest.

Best,
William