[consulting] Getting Freelance Work

Sam Polenta sam.polenta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:26:05 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Matt Chapman wrote:
> Easier said than done, which is why RFPs are usually a waste of time
> until you're large enough to support a dedicated sales person, and can
> make ends meet if s/he works for 3 months without bringing in a single
> project. I have yet to meet a freelancer who wants to sign up for that
> game.

Dude, I was number 2 for this gig. Seems I have a pretty good chance
of getting work this way. No?

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Christian Pearce wrote:
> I only read one reason there.  They got scared.  What was the second reason?

He said a couple of their directors have had trouble with freelance
developers in the past, including one who mysteriously disappeared
right before a major deadline. This has nothing at all to do with me,
of course, he even noted. But he said it did influence a few key
directors, who felt strongly that it was important to avoid the
possibility of something similar happening with this project.

> All you freelancers do you subcontract to handle excess workload?  If so why
> not start a loose firm of a couple people?

Most / many freelancers prefer to be left alone. :)

Not to mention that a "loose firm of a couple people" will soon become
"just another" dev shop with overhead and politics etc. etc.

Sam